Monday, June 13, 2011

The Case for Falling in Love Review

I recently read an interesting and insightful book, "The Case for Falling in Love. The author Mari Ruti refers to many love self help books, such as: "Men are from Venus" and "He's Just Not that Into You". I have never actually read any self help books on love but I know that we are faced everyday with the "dos" and "don'ts" in the world of dating. As much as I'd like to say I don't listen to a lot of the silly rules, I feel like they are ingrained in us. We start learning at a young age through magazines like Seventeen and then continue on with Cosmopolitan. I didn't realize how many stereotypes women are faced with until I read this book.

Mari Ruti looks at the many stereotypes and traditional thoughts that women are raised with and think they have to adhere to. It was a really interesting read and challenged me to think about relationships. I particularly enjoyed the chapter called "For Better Romantic Advice, Watch Gossip Girl". She admits that it is difficult to compare it to the classical literature young audiences once read, but that Gossip Girl is what young audiences are watching now and that a lot can be gleaned from it. I agree in the sense that it teaches young audiences to talk with each other about their problems and to communicate with their friends and partners.

Mari Ruti sets out to empower her female readers in finding love, losing love and maintaining our happiness in the midst of it all. She sets up all of those rules we are raise with like: playing hard to get, playing helpless, manipulation and just plain trying too hard. After setting them up, she explains why they are ridiculous and why we should live our lives, make ourselves happy first and not listen to that nonsense! You are ultimately all you have and if you don't make yourself happy first, how can you make another happy?

I also really enjoyed the chapter, "A Love Failure Is Not a Life Failure". Just because a love didn't work out, doesn't mean that it is a failure in our lives. We learn something new through each relationship we have in our lives and gain something, even if we lose that someone. We tend to blame ourselves and try to understand what it is that we did wrong, because of course, it is OUR fault. Sometimes things just don't work out and we have to accept them for what they are and move on and always, no matter what, live life to the fullest.

I highly recommend this book, not just for the relationship advice, but for the interesting evaluation of what we can learn through pop culture and the sound life advice. We can always use a little boost and some reassurance to be strong and successful in our relationships and in our lives. Readers will find humor, entertainment and a unique perspective in "The Case for Falling in Love"!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I loved reading this book!

P.S. I still haven't read your latest letter. It got buried under a pile of stuff on my desk. :(

Anthea said...

I'm glad you liked it too! So refreshing :)

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff
UA-21300137-1